Wednesday, June 13

Are our roads safe?


Cycling Seb
Originally uploaded by b boy.
Maybe not with Seb on them!!

Today we went for a ride over the new Green Bridge at UQ. It somewhat shortens the traditional river loop but that is ok by me until I find my cycling legs! I know I left them around here somewhere :)

After stopping off for a coffee at the end of our ride (Caffeine Espresso, 100 metres down the road) we set off for home. As we were about to turn down Florence street some old guy in a Toyota echo (or similar) turned into the street in front of us without paying us due attention. Well, that was like showing a red flag to a bull as far as Seb was concerned. He of course started to chase him down on his (or rather Les's) bike. Nice effort I must say! He caught him about 50 metres later waving a fist toward his window before pulling his bike in front of his car and unclipping himself from his peddles preventing the driver's egress. He then proceeded to have a few words with the guy and as I rode past I heard something about how the driver's total lack of road awareness would get some child killed one day! Vintage Seb I thought :)

A couple of guys standing up the road watching seemed suitably impressed. I mean all bad driving on the old guys part aside, I feel kind of sorry for him......image if you were confronted by a raving lunatic wearing a Bert and Ernie jersey on a quiet suburban street. But the best part was the drivers first response when he responded, "Did I do something wrong?". I think this just made the whole situation worse!

Bert and Ernie jersey ........................................... 50 Euro
A double strength latte for a caffeine boost ............ 3.20 AUD
Seeing a thin man with hairy legs wearing a Bert and Ernie jersey going into a caffeine rage and chasing down some old guy in a car to debate the road rules............................Priceless!

2 comments:

Sebastian said...

€50 come-on, dude. More like €75.
and hey old dudes and young dudes have to pay attention when on the road. I don't think that the old dude was even aware that there were other road users. No Idea. But at least next time he MAY think twice, at least I hope so. but it isn't just the old dude remember, there was that young dude who almost walked into the path of that bus. I tell you, that dude is lucky to be alive. Buses hurt a lot, I'm sure.

Sebastian said...

and by the way, Bert and Ernie Rule...dude