Saturday, August 5

The 3 bears...sort of!


The 3 bears...sort of!
Originally uploaded by b boy.
Well as you can see the cot has arrived.....along with the matching change table (see Flickr). After waiting about 7 weeks I took delivery the other week. Both boxes just made it into the back of my car and they were quite heavy. It certainly felt like they were made to last. The reason we chose the Stokke cot and change table is that like the high chair, they can grow with the child. The cot becomes a bed or later 2 chairs and the change table can turn into a desk or set of shelves. Apart from that we liked to look of them. Putting them together took a little longer than I had anticipated as I had hoped to get them all set up before Mel got home that day as a surprise for her. My plans came unstuck when in the middle of construction I was interrupted by wine salesmen (actually one was a woman). Think used car salesmen of the wine industry complete with very fake blonde highlights in the hair and too much jewelery....and I am talking about the guy! How did this all happen????

Well one day when my brain was clearly going out in sympathy with Mel's much blogged about "placenta brain", I had recieved something in the mail telling me that if I wanted to fill out some very short survey then I would be given, as a token of their appreciation that I actually bothered to fill in their survey, a rather stylish vintner's knife. Without thinking I filled the thing out...I mean what harm could it do....and after all I would be getting a vintner's knife! Many months later (the day before picking up the cot as it turned out) I recieved a call from a rather attractive sounding woman telling me that she would like to drop arround my knife and let me sample some wine and she was only free to come around tomorrow at either 3 or 4pm. I was about to make my first mistake (well actually second if you count filling out the survey in the first place). At this point I should have said that I was actually quite unavailable at either 3 or 4pm and left it at that but again without thinking I said sure, 3 would be OK. So in the middle of trying to put together the aforementioned nursey furniture the woman who called the day before arrived with her boss I presume and then I had to listen to his blurb about the boutique wine they make down at Golden Grape winery in the Hunter while being offered tastings of the same. By the time I managed to avoid buying anything and convincing them I needed to be somewhere else, it was all too late for me to finish putting things together. But I did get my vintner's knife.

By the time Mel got home I had finished the change table and was halfway throught the cot. Oh well I tried.

It all seemed to look like the picture in the catalogue when I had finished which was a relief. It seems that there is nothing that you can't put together these days with an allen key and some instructions written in a foreign language.

2 comments:

Paul In London said...

Where's the photos of the really bad highlights?!?!

Hee hee...

Dr Ben Cook said...

I forgot to mention he had those kind of tailored side burns that angle forward and taper off to a point near the chin! I think he was trying too hard....